I love stuffed cabbage. Cabbage is so healthy, tasty and full of proteins. For this recipe, I wanted to make a vegetarian option. Also, I grabbed the flavours thesaurus by Niki Segnit to find the best flavours combination. Cabbage and chestnut looked like the perfect match. I love both. I had one natural chestnut jar left so I could skip the long chestnuts preparation. Plus I had some carrots and parsnips that looked good with it. In less than 30 minutes, the chestnuts stuffed cabbage dish was ready to serve.
Vegetarian stuffed cabbage with chestnuts, parsnips and carrots
Ingredients (4 servings) :
- 1 cabbage
- 350g/12,5oz chestnuts
- 100g/3,5oz carrots
- 100g/3,5 parsnips
- 1 onion
- 10cl/4fl.oz. white wine
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Salt, white pepper, hot chili pepper powder
- Peel parsnips and carrots. Cut in small pieces. Steam for 20 minutes.
- Steam cabbage for 20 minutes.
- Peel and finely chopped the onion. Sweat the onion in a pan with olive oil. Add the chesnuts et cook for few more minutes.
- Add carrot and parsnip pieces. Lower heat. Cook for few 2-3 minutes.
- Deglaze with white wine. Season with salt, white pepper and a pinch of chili pepper powder.
- Pick the leaves of the cabbage off.
- In a robot, mix chesnuts preparation, carrot, parsnip, and the rest of the cabbage.
- Make small balls with the mixture. Place in a middle of a leave. Fold the sides over. Repeat operation with other leaves.
- Serve with salad mix.